Fun with Sensory Water Beads
How safe are water beads?
Water beads are safe for touching and playing but NOT for eating. If you have a little one who still puts things in his or her mouth, please supervise very closely OR save this sensory activity until your child is older. Please seek medical attention immediately if the water beads are ingested.
How to play with water beads?
To ‘activate’ the water beads, empty the tiny, dehydrated beads into a container and add LOTS of water. Keep adding as the beads absorb the water in your container. It can take up to 8 hours or so to grow full size.
The little beads are made from water-absorbing polymer and as the beads absorb water, they will grow and grow.
Every step of the process of growing these water beads is fun! Just watching the water beads grow and observing the changes along the way is fun on its own!
Once removed from water, these water beads will begin to shrink back to their original size.
If they are clean, you can store them in an airtight container for future use.
If not, you can dispose after leaving them out for a few days to dry out and shrink. If they are biodegradable, you can bury them in your garden.
How else can we play with water beads?
- Fill a bowl up with water beads. Plunge your hands into it. Hold and squish them.
- Place a light under the table and see the water beads glow.
- Toss a couple of your favourite toys into a bin of water beads. Let your kid explore and observe what he/she creates!
- Sort the water beads according to colour or size. Use a scoop or fingers, whichever is easier.
- Add shaving cream and let the kids play in a whole new way!
- For older kids, get them to discover the science behind these water beads.
Playgroup – a place where your kids can let loose, get messy, have fun, learn and PLAY.
If you would like to create more opportunities to let your child be engaged in sensory and outdoor play, click on the button to find out more about the playgroup programmes available for 6mths – 6yr olds at MPA!